Speaking at Max 2013 by Thibault Imbert

Adobe Max is coming on May 4-8th in Los Angeles and I will be giving 2 sessions: Adobe Max 2013 - Los Angeles

Adobe Scout: Profiling Taken to the Next Level - Monday 3:30 PM - 515B (link - http://tinyurl.com/c8xs9vf)

Description: Discover how you can perform advanced profiling of your Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR content across mobile and desktop. Profiling in Flash Player has been revolutionized, and Gavin Peacock and Thibault Imbert from the Adobe Scout team are your guides to the latest innovations. Join us for a deep dive into next-generation profiling.

This session will include:

• Introduction to Adobe Scout and its potential uses
  • Technical demonstration on how to use the tool to profile both desktop and mobile content
  • Best practices and tips

HTML5 for ActionScript 3.0 developers - Monday 5:00 PM - 510 (link - http://tinyurl.com/cx4mkjq)

Description: Have you been developing content with ActionScript 3.0 for years and want to take a look at JavaScript? Join Thibault Imbert for a deep dive into JavaScript and HTML5 and discover how they are different from ActionScript 3.0. This session will review the major capabilities available in Adobe Flash Player and AIR and demonstrate the equivalents using web standards.

I will cover:

• Differences and similarities between JavaScript and ActionScript 3.0
  • An overview of browser APIs and capabilities to power expressive content
  • Profiling and performance optimizations

I will be sharing in this talk how to transition to HTML/JS from an interactive developer standpoint moving from AS3/C#/C++. I started working on a free ebook about this topic called "JavaScript for interactive developers", this session will be a sneak peek of  it.

I hope to see you there!

Comments (55)

1. Paul wrote::

Hello Thibult,
    i was wondering if you still have anything to do with flash now days?
    Looks like your role(and title) in adobe changed and i see you are focusing more and more on javascript(your tweets etc.).
    ASnext is dead and looks like whole gaming thing is also dead, there is no flash 11.7 beta (and for last few versions when 11.3-6 where going live there was already next version in beta)
    So flash/air will be next director with small team in india doing updates every few years ?

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 12:20 pm #
  2. Tufik Chediak wrote::

Yes Paul, you have all the reason. Adobe has killed to AS3, and every day is less the work for this plataform. I think that the best for AS3 is offer to Open Source community, i am sure that it would be the best and the most honest actions from Adobe. If Adobe don’t like AS3, there are many open source community that will like work with AS3 and do of AS the best programation language

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 3:58 pm #
  3. radu birsan wrote::

Hello Thibult,
    Are you going to focus on JavaScript this year?

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 4:42 pm #
  4. Thibault Imbert wrote::

HI Paul,

Yes, my role has changed and I am now working on web standards as part of the Web Platform team at Adobe. Looking at how we can contribute some innovation to make HTML/JS better for expressive content.

Also focused on JavaScript to improve profiling tools and contribute to the innovation happening around JS, things like asm.js from Mozilla are exciting too.

There will be a 11.7 beta and releases for the years to come, but yes, you will see me talk about HTML/JS from now on, even though Flash will always have a place in my heart ;)

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 9:22 pm #
  5. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Tufik,

What kind of open sourcing are you thinking of? Open sourcing the AVM2? Flash Player? The VM is available right now through the Tamarin effort: http://hg.mozilla.org/tamarin-central

Are you talking about the compiler? We also donated Falcon to Apache recently.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 9:26 pm #
  6. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Radu,

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 9:27 pm #
  7. Dave wrote::

Hi Thibault,
    About open sourcing . AVM2 is only part of Flash Player, it’s not complete source code. For that have free and open source alternatives such as Gnash and Lightspark . Actionscript is my favourite language and it’s really painful to see how Adobe abandon Flash and bet everything on HTML5 . Thibault , you was my favourite Adobe guru and for me the heart of Flash. Wishing you all the best with your new role. Bonne chance

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 10:16 pm #
  8. Frank wrote::

Thibault, have you considered writing your own version of “Thoughts on Flash”? I would like to know what you guys at Adobe are thinking about it.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 10:43 pm #
  9. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Frank,

I am sure one day I will write such a blog post and talk about all this. I could write a book about it. Thoughts on Flash, from the inside :)

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 11:11 pm #
  10. Paul wrote::

Ouch it makes me sad panda :P It was my daily routine to check your blog for news about flash.
    Is adobe still going to invest in flash gaming air(mobile) development(updating air so it works with new ios releases etc)?
    Anyway good luck with your new role :)Making HTML/JS better ? it wont be easy task :P

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 11:14 pm #
  11. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Dave,

Yes, agreed only the AVM has been open sourced. Thanks for the kind words. As I said, Flash forever in my heart. Learnt so much with the technology and you guys from the community.

Reason why I am writing this book is because I really believe we have so much to contribute to the web standards. Flash developers know how to create amazing experiences and we have been solving problems that people have now with HTML/JS. It is a new chapter for all of us and I hope to have you guys around.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 11:15 pm #
  12. Paul wrote::

Looks like it is time to abandon “flash”ship:(
    But as game developer after trying stage3d(starling) im interested in html5/js world only if it also includes webgl :)
    It is/was really dream come true what you guys achieved with flashplayer 11.0+ :(

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 11:25 pm #
  13. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Yes, Flash Player 11 was big, we gave true GPU acceleration consistent on the web to developers. It was a dream come true for us too.

WebGL has big potential, even though the API surface is huge and I am sure could be reduced like what we did with Stage3D which is a way more web developer friendly API. I will be blogging soon about some of the things I am working on, I am sure you will be interested ;)

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 11:52 pm #
  14. Frank wrote::

What do you guys consider a viable alternative to Flash/Air design/animation-wise? It is really easy to create awesome interfaces in Flash, that I will really miss. Many times we have to create crazy animations in few time so I wonder if you have some recommendations. (I am talking about desktop apps, not web apps)

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 12:16 am #
  15. ElliotGeno wrote::

This is truly upsetting. You are the beating heart of Flash. Adobe just stabbed you and all of us. The Web is completely dead to me. Hopefully they don’t treat AIR like this or I will just quit development and learn architecture or product design.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 5:02 am #
  16. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Elliot,

Web is not dead, lots of things to improve, but definitely not dead. You would be a great developer on HTML/JS pushing the limits of the platform. Again, the platform has a lot to catch up on, but don’t ignore it, again, Flash developers will probably be some of the best HTML/JS developers.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:12 am #
  17. Pol wrote::

oh, reading this words I swear I could see Flash Player funeral happening here. It’s awful to see how everybody will just have to get used to JS/HTML5. No support for strong typing, classes hierarchy looks like AS1, a real mess for big projects (just to name a missing feature), nasty. I really wished there would be an integrated AVM in every browser so we could still use AS3. Some kind of standard for AVM like Java one.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:45 am #
  18. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Pol,

You should have a look at TypeScript, it is really good. It will give you the EcmaScript 6 features sooner (classes, modules) and even type annotations if you want, it also provides type inference, so the benefits of static typing but without type annotations.

At runtime, you still have to deal with some of the crazy JS behaviors but overall, it is not very far from AS3.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:51 am #
  19. DarkStone wrote::

Hi Thibault,

Javascript 1.x is a real pain for team work, cuz it does not support Class and Interface.

If Adobe bet their money on HTML5/CCS3/JS, then they should really push Javascript forward to make Javascript 2 (based on ECMAScript 6) availabe to the world.

HTML5 and CSS3 are pretty advanced comparing to HTML4 and CSS2, but Javascript 1.x s**ks.

Even if Javascript 2 were available, we still need a killer framework like flex to work inefficiently. Now I only see Sencha is the best of this area, when will Adobe offer a HTML5/CSS3/JS killer framework?

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:23 am #
  20. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi DarkStone,

True, but ES6 is really bringing the language to a new place. Check how you can get ES6 support today with TypeScript: http://dsheiko.com/weblog/harmony-with-typescript

On Windows, Visual Studio supports it, and on Mac you could even use Brackets that has a plugin for it too, or even WebStorm.

TypeScript really makes ES6 available to the world today. They even provide solid support for debugging with source maps.

For frameworks, we are working on some things. Flex was way too big (imho), I think a more modular/lightweight framework would be a better approach. For apps, is really a Flex equivalent what you are looking for?

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:33 am #
  21. DarkStone wrote::

Hi Thibault,

Thanks for the information on TypeScript, I’m readding it right now.

About you question “For apps, is really a Flex equivalent what you are looking for?”

Yes, for Application Developers, a Flex equivalent HTML5/CSS3/JS2 framwork is exactly what we are looking for! Check http://www.sencha.com/, they are doing a pretty work of this (but sencha still using JS 1.x for now).

On the other hand, for Web Page Developer, a lightweight framework is pretty enough to them.

App Developers and Web Page Developers are quite different, they need different level of frameworks.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:51 am #
  22. DarkStone wrote::

Hi Thibault,

I have read the TypeScript blog, well it’s like Java & AS3 combined, but in some cases not as good as AS3.

AS long as TypeScript is a Microsoft language, I will not put my time on it. Microsoft is so out of fashion now, it fades like all things do.

So pity that Adobe abandoned AS4, although AS3 is a pretty advanced forefront script language.

I will still stick to AS3 until ECMAScript 6 is released and a killer framwork is presented.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:33 am #
  23. Om wrote::

Adobe should totally build their own browser. Built on top of Webkit(rising tide…) which supports ActionScript natively. On second thought, bake in the flash player into the browser. Bam! Look ma, no plugins. And JS and AS developers lived together happily!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:34 am #
  24. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi DarkStone,

I think the TypeScript effort is very reasonable, plus these guys (MS) are good when it comes to languages. It generates plain JS code that will run in all browsers. I fills a gap right now, it would give you ES6 sooner, it is not another new language, hence why I like it.

For the frameworks, we are working on a few things like TopCoat: https://github.com/topcoat/topcoat – You should have a look. Would be great to have your feedback on this.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:38 am #
  25. Gilles wrote::

Hi Thibault,

You don’t say much about the future of AIR: will there be updates in the years to come in order to support new versions of mobile OSes and devices?

This is a capital information, because if the answer is no, anybody that has plans to develop mobile apps with air should stop right now, if he doesn’t want to loose his work when the next iOS/Android is released and is not supported by AIR!

I the answer is no, I truly don’t understand: why would Adobe abandon AIR after having put so much effort to make it the most advanced and mature solution to build cross-platform mobile apps??? What a huge waste that would be.

Answer highly needed here!!

Thanks and good luck in your new adventures
    Gilles

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:50 am #
  26. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Gilles,

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:58 am #
  27. radu birsan wrote::

Hi, first of all thank you for all the passion you put into Flash.
    Are you guys looking into HAXE?

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 10:18 am #
  28. DarkStone wrote::

Hi Radu,

I have read HAXE.org website, in my opinion, HAXE is like Microsoft’s TypeScript, which syntax is like AS3 & JAVA combined.

But I can see that HAXE is way better than TypeScript, as it takes advantages of the best AS3 and JAVA syntaxes, and add more OOP concepts to HAXE itself.

HAXE is some like my supposed version of AS4, I’ll dig into it, thanks.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 10:44 am #
  29. DarkStone wrote::

Hi Thibault,

I have seen http://topcoat.io/, I can see TopCoat is like HTML5 version Flex framwork.

Right now TopCoat is lightweight as it is, but with time it will become more and more powerful and complex and heavy weight, like the way Flex has been gone.

I think TopCoat is pretty enough for the web developers, but as long as it does not come with Javascript 2, App Developers will not fully embrace it.

Cuz for a web project, every developer on it do things separately, there is no real team work of them.

But for a app project, every developer on it needs to work together, they need true oop language like JS2/AS3 to do real team work.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:44 am #
  30. TarGz wrote::

Ho my god ! putting such a technologie into the trash is kind of stupid, it’s a big lost for our creativity. Today html and Js reduce what’s possible on the web and I’m totally borred by scrolling website!

I’m sad, but I’m sure that you will provide us a lot of ways using Js to build great stuffs.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm #
  31. Phil Vessey wrote::

Good to see this:

“We will also unveil some of the new features coming in Scout in the future. You cannot miss this session if you care about performance analysis!”

Scout is the best thing out of Adobe in years and I doubt they would continue to work on it if Flash / AIR was being killed completely.

I think we should all remember what Adobe has been suggesting for a while. If you are building content to run in a browser, unless its a game utilising Stage 3D then you really shouldnt be using Flash.

Lee Brimelow says alot that its about choosing the right tech for what you doing. It doesnt mean that one tech is dying / not as good as another, its about choosing the right option.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm #
  32. Good luck for this year and your new role!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm #
  33. Tufik Chediak wrote::

“For new versions of existing mobile OSes supported and devices, yes, like iOS and Android. We announced that we have no plans supporting Windows 8 Metro/Windows Phone 8. New platforms like Firefox OS also, probably not.”

ooo no, Air is dying also, is a bad news too. :(, I should have listened to my university teacher and learn JAVA.

Continuous not understand why Adobe abandoning this technology, if it has a fairly large community around the world, that is the important for continuous development for a technology.

Yes, there are other technologies but that’s not reason for Oracle leave Java, or Microsoft C++, C#, or Borland to Delphi, etc.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm #
  34. Arnoud wrote::

Ouch, the biggest Flash/Air promotor within Adobe has left the platform.

It’s ashame that Adobe seems to abandon this great technology in favor of javascript hell. I programmed javascript for 5 years and then changed to actionscript. Tired of browser incompatibilities. Was very happy for the last 6 years. Strong typing, uniform looks etc… Actionscript3 is great and i was really looking forward to actionscript next. The strange thing is that adobe states there was no animo for yet another iteration in actionscript evolution. I just cannot believe that as all i read about it on the web was written by people who were enthusiastic and eager to hear about actionscript next.

I bet adobe is making a lot of money now making the shift to html/js. All the new tooling etc. Good for them as they are in the money making business. I just wished they were committed to both camps. Heck i’d be willing to pay good money for a quality Air sdk that compiles to all mayor mobile platforms. I have a feeling i’m not alone here. Did you guys ever investigated that? Most successful cross compilation sdk’s charge money and the big names seem to be doing pretty ok.

Thank you though for all the great work and bringing flash player / air where it is today. Good luck with the new job.

Arnoud

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 5:16 pm #
  35. Gilles wrote::

Thanks Thibault for your answer.

So you say that that the new versions of Android and iOS will be supported by AIR, and the new devices as well, right? But is it a long term commitment by Adobe, if it is a commitment at all? I mean, can we expect that our app will continue running on iOS 7? iOS 8? Android 5? Android 6? Also, can we expect support for the most recent mobile GPUs?

Thanks
    Gilles

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 5:29 pm #
  36. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi DarkStone,

Thanks for your thoughts. TopCoat’s goal though is really not the same as Flex. What the team has in mind is a toolbox for generating optimized and good CSS for UI elements. It is in a way not a framework, but more like a tool.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:04 pm #
  37. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Phil,

Yes, Scout is amazing. One of the most exciting project I have worked on. So many possibilities with the tool. You will definitely hear more about Scout in the future.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:06 pm #
  38. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Thomas,

Thanks! ;)

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:06 pm #
  39. Catfurnace wrote::

So long Thibault and thanks for all the fish.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:46 pm #
  40. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Tufik, Arnoud,

Again, AIR is not going away, there are features being planned, and same for Flash Player. For the platforms supported for AIR, that is what we reflected in the roadmap. So if you plan targeting these platforms, AIR will not be the best choice.

Yes, today’s JavaScript is not good enough and a new version of ActionScript sounds exciting but ES6 is going into the right direction. Seriously, if you look at the features and the tooling support you have today with TypeScript, it looks pretty good and you are working sooner with the same language as what JS will look like very soon in most browsers. The only exception is type annotation support, which is not in the ES6 spec (Harmony), but still, optional in TypeScript.

As much as I love ActionScript, I don’t think introducing yet another language is the best thing to do, that’s why sticking to AS3 is probably the best thing for Flash developers, which is btw again very similar to ES6. Yes Haxe and C# and many other languages are fantastic, I love F# personally, I find this language so elegant and powerful but again, when it comes to use/learn a language, it is also good thinking about the bet you make and C++ or JS are actually safe bets.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:46 pm #
  41. Anon wrote::

Why didn’t you stand up for Flash? Have you ever created a web / desktop or mobile application before? You would then know how terrible it is to be told to use JS / HTML5 (HTML + a few features). The inventor of HTML said himself it is not for applications!!! Flash offers the complete workflow from code to compile to debug to deploy with tools for each. Some people would say if cared for Flash and Flash developers you and the other evangelists would protest (quit?) then go in this direction. Some people call what you are doing selling out.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:08 pm #
  42. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Anon,

Don’t you think I did stand up for Flash? Have you seen all the innovation going inside Flash Player and AIR recently? Stage3D on mobile and desktop, ActionScript Workers, all the JDIs (MovieClip.isPlaying, DisplayObjectContainer.removeChildren, Query Graphics API, ApplicationDomain.getQualifiedDefinitionNames, Event.FRAME_LABEL, large bitmap support, Cubic Bezier, BitmapData.drawWithQuality, MouseEvent.RELEASE_OUTSIDE, Native JSON support, Right click event, mouse lock, native JPEG/PNG encoding, LZMA compression/decompression and more), Adobe Scout, the Gaming SDK, the Starling framework, the books and the open-source projects on this blog.

No, I am not selling out. Will always love Flash, and Flash is my DNA. I am just entering a new chapter, typical to the life of any developer on earth.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:20 pm #
  43. Alexander wrote::

Hi, Thibault!

I think Flash/AIR developers could live with the lack of AS Next, etc. I agree that AS3/AIR/Stage3D/Scout – everything is already rock solid and pure joy to use!

What’s more scary is that Adobe could slowly kill Flash by making it gradually more and more irrelevant and not ready for the future. An obvious example: there is still a 2048×2048 texture size limitation! It’s already an inconvenience for screens like 2560×1600 (Nexus 10).

It would be great to get any kind of confirmation that Adobe at least have plans and will to keep polishing the current Flash/AIR tech.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:43 pm #
  44. Arnoud wrote::

Hi Thibault,

Yes i know about ES6, but even when it’s ready we still need adoption (and strong typing, maybe ES7?). The browser updating process is improving but still it’s gonna take a while. The fact that you have Dart, TypeScript, CoffeScript, Haxe, Kotlin to compile to javascript shows exactly the problem IMHO. If javascript was a nice language that scales well we wouldn’t have many of those tools.

Maybe we should stop seeing javascript as a full blown language at the moment. Indeed just use TypeScript or another language that outputs javascript and see that output the same as we see the .swf format. Don’t touch it, just include the resulting file (.js in this case) and let it run :-)

Anyways exiting times! But happy to hear Flash and Air are not going anywhere soon and that new feats are still planned. Gives me some time to decide which way to go. Haxe seems most versatile at the moment.

thnx again for all your great work and good luck!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:50 pm #
  45. Arnoud wrote::

Oops i meant:

Maybe we should stop seeing javascript as a full blown language at the moment. Indeed just use TypeScript or another language that outputs javascript and see that output the same as we see the .swf format. Don’t touch it, just include the resulting file (.js in this case) and let it run — And pray it works on all browsers — :)

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:58 pm #
  46. Fred wrote::

Hi Thibault,

“Again, AIR is not going away, there are features being planned, and same for Flash Player.”

That’s a good news, I was a bit worried too as a lot of people apparently reading you’re moving on HTML/JS/Web standard because you are the heart and soul of the Flash Player evolutions, even more, you’ve been called to work to SF, got more in more responsabilities regarding the Flash Plateform, it’s a big surprise you go away from Flash, then I wonder, is it your choice to move on the HTML/JS part ?

If not, can’t we reasonabiliy deduce the Adobe commitment regarding the Flash Plateform’s going to slow down more in more ? and if true, how long before no more support at all ?

Adobe confidence as you know has continually declined since 2 years, if you could enlighten us a little more, it would be great as we would know how to organize.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:15 pm #
  47. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Alexander,

Yes, you can check the roadmap, there are some features in the works and more will come. You should raise your voice for features requests on the FP/AIR forums: http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/flashruntimes/flashplayer/http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/flashruntimes/air

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:32 pm #
  48. Elliot Geno wrote::

@Thibault I said the web is dead to me. Maybe not to you since you are forced to do it. Anyway, it is very sad that Adobe is willing to throw away such a nice language.

Why not find a way to transpile AS to HTML JS and CSS? Just seems like Haxe, TypeScript and CoffeeScript are trying to fix the obvious JS problem from the outside. Still does nothing to actually fix JS, and I have been talking with the guys forming ECMAScript 6, I am concerned they aren’t improving the language ENOUGH!

Actionscript is already light years ahead of ECMAScript 6… why not just transpile it?

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:37 pm #
  49. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Arnoud,

Yes, the idea of JS as the assembly language of the web is interesting. This is what asm.js is trying to improve, so that other languages can target JS more efficiently: http://asmjs.org/spec/latest/

I am not sure strong typing is necessarily required. Again, the TypeScript compiler provides type inference, which does not require you to to explicitly annotate the types cause types are inferred. So you get the benefits of type checking (type checking at compile time and auto completion or hinting) without the cost of strongly type all your variables. F# or also provides beautiful type inference support in Visual Studio, Haxe also provides type inference support.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:43 pm #
  50. Elliot Geno wrote::

Oh and another thing… it is horrible there is no real private beta anymore.

We are thrown in with a bunch of people asking questions about why their CPU hits 100% on YouTube and such. That was a shitty way to treat loyal fans and beta-testers of Flash.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:43 pm #
  51. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Elliot,

No I am not forced, I wanted to. I will be talking soon on the blog about some the stuff I have been working on.

On why not transpiling AS3, because ES6 will be basically like AS3 with even more things, so why? At this point TypeScript provides a very close feature set to what you have in AS3 today.

Also, on cross-compilation I think Microsoft could have done the same thing with C# and they decided not to do so. One of the reason is that by cross-compiling from a language that has nothing to do with the environment you are targeting, you have to recreate the entire ecosystem of libraries around it. You want to use JQuery? You want to use Modernizr? All of these have to be surfaced in the language you write inside the cross-compiler to allow cross-compilation, and that is costly. If you want to bring any existing library inside your project, if it is not supported by the SDK, you will probably not be able to leverage it. I think this is a big limitation.

I don’t want to sound like a TypeScript evangelist, but again, TypeScript makes you write JavaScript code, so you stay in a familiar environment that can interop easily with the existing set of libraries that exist today, plus, you are not learning yet another language.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 9:53 pm #
  52. Frank wrote::

Hi Thibault,

All bullcrap aside – where is the whole Flash/AIR ecosystem heading to? I am sorry but to point people on Flash/AIR’s roadmap is an utter nonsense, we all know what was written in the roadmap before and what is written in the roadmap now. Adobe is practically laughing to our faces and I will never, and I mean NEVER, trust this company again. I have spent a whole bunch of money on tooling, years of supporting it any way I could but this is over. For years it has been convincing us how it is going to devote to Flash and then this… First of all, I don’t particularly care about Flash on web (however it has its use for some complicated RIA’s), but I do care about AIR. We have a surprising amount of projects where we are using it and it simply ‘cannot’ be dropped… I am quite OK with Java, Javascript, Obj-C but design-wise nothing can beat Flash. If Adobe does not understand they have one of the most powerful (if not the MOST powerful) designing/programing tool, I am truly sad for them. Could you give us some insights that may be not in the roadmap? Could you tell us how many people were working in the flash team and how many they are working now? Could you tell us whether it will be outsourced somewhere to Pakistan? Could you tell us something, that would actually calm down the people who still love it? If you are not allowed to comment on anything about this, just tell us, we will understand.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 10:39 pm #
  53. Thibault Imbert wrote::

Hi Frank,

Yes, I have said enough I think. I hope you understand.

One day, we should grab a beer ;)

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:05 pm #
  54. mpmedia wrote::

People you can move to Haxe now , it will be a smooth transition to JS . Check out HAXE + NME for a air like solution , it’s going to be big in the future.
    @Thibault , merci pour tout, vraiment , j’ai débuté avec ton livre sur AS3.
    Bonne continuation !!!

Friday, March 15, 2013 at 11:18 am #
  55. Romil wrote::

This is Romil, from Flash Runtime Engineering Team.

With browser vendors increasingly providing functionality that makes it possible to deploy rich graphics directly via browser, Adobe does plan to invest in this space, which includes HTML based gaming.

In the short to medium term however, the Flash runtimes provide a number of key advantages and differentiators as a gaming platform. So, Adobe has absolutely NOT halted the work on new features and improvements. We are actively making improvements to Flash and AIR and are still dedicated to doing so.

We have a pretty large team working on AIR and Flash to bring you new capabilities. Bill Howard is the GPM for the Runtimes, and he plans to focus on work that enables game developers to be more efficient and make more money.

Also, we just released the beta versions of Flash Player 11.7 and Adobe AIR 3.7 on Labs, where we have tried to address some of the long requested features and bugs.

Hope that helps in clarifying some of the concerns around Flash and AIR. :)

Friday, March 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Trackback/Pingback (1)

1. [...] sieht, dass Thibault nen neuen Titel bei Adobe hat. Andererseits kommen dann wieder solche Sachen: Speaking at Max 2013 – ByteArray.org [...]