Fun with code (since 2006)

AIR 3.2 RC SDK available on Adobe Labs!

02.27.12 Posted in Actionscript 3, Flash on mobile, Flash Player, Molehill by

Adobe AIR 3.2 SDKWe are so excited to announce the availability of AIR 3.2 (Release Candidate) with Stage3D support for mobile.
Download it now on Adobe Labs.

Flash Player and AIRYou will be able to develop fully GPU accelerated mobile content with AIR 3.2 for iOS and Android using the same Stage3D APIs you are using today on the desktop.

It allows you to distribute AIR captive runtime versions of apps, enabling you to publish apps immediately to marketplaces such as the iOS App Store, Android Market, and Amazon Appstore. We recommend that you update your applications with the GM build when it is available.

And this is just the beginning of the surprises we have for you, this is going to be an exciting year. The team cannot wait to see what you guys will create, what we have received already from developers on our prerelease looks stunning, as usual I am sure you guys will find very creative ways to use Stage3D for all types of content.

Let us know the content you create by posting a comment here or letting me know through Twitter.
At the same time we are also making available the release candidate of Flash Player 11.2.

Below a video of Lee and I to demonstrate what AIR 3.2 will enable, showcasing some content already produced by the community:

Enjoy!

59 Responses to “AIR 3.2 RC SDK available on Adobe Labs!”

1. Woohoo, finally! Just when I need it, where do we can find compatible devices list?!

2. jpauclair says:

That is pretty cool!
    Funny thing, I posted today about a Nape physics demo using Starling engine just like the one you have!
    Did you encounter the same problems I had?

3. Terry Paton says:

Awesome work guys. Can’t wait to get that type of performance in my games.

4. [...] technologies, and focus on astonishing experiences that feel simply beautiful? The launch of the AIR 3.2 RC SDK with Stage3D on Adobe Labs moved this vision closer to [...]

5. w0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000tttt!!!!!

!

6. mpete says:

Anybody got a link to how to install the SDK to work seamlessly with Flash CS 5.5? Thnx!

7. Szymon Brych says:

Hi Thibault,
    do the some of previously blacklisted graphic cards became valid along with drivers gating relaxation?

8. mpsollmann says:

Wow, looks really great! Can’t wait to see this in action. :)

Cheers, Marcus

9. Nisse Bergman says:

Nice I’ve been waiting for this for a long time! Keep up the great work!

10. kek says:

Ca a l’air bien génial et prometteur ! Mais y a qq mois adobe disait qu’ils allaient arreter le développement de flash pour mobile, du coup en tant que flasheur depuis 10 ans, j’ai commencé à me tourner vers des langages natifs pour mobiles (enfin j’ai pas beaucoup avancé).
    Et là avec cette version, ok c’est AIR, mais je me dis que je peux quand même développer en as3 pour mobiles ? Je pige pu rien. En tout cas j’essaierai ! Merci !

11. [...] __ Спасибо за новость ByteArray.org [...]

12. ZoulouX says:

Bien joué, une fois de plus ça déboite :)

13. abiyasa says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to see how it performs on my Samsung Galaxy S

14. Dhaya says:

Awesome work Thibault and the Flash Platform team!
    @kek tu peux en effet créer une application iPad / Android en Adobe AIR en partant d’un projet AS3 de base (ie. avec Flash Pro CS5+).

15. Woko says:

Hello Thibault,
    are there any news on Alchemy in Flash Player 11.2 RC? You guys have stated that you’ll be working with the community to come up with a solution, but it looks like it’s still disabled in 11.2 RC.

16. [...] AIR 3.2 RC SDK available on Adobe Labs! by Thibault Imbert [...]

17. [...] you will be able to develop to develop fully GPU accelerated mobile. For more information chechkout Thibault Imbert‘s blog and below is a video of leebrimelow showcasing some the demos [...]

18. pascaloliv says:

Awesome! Ready for the of my school project ! :) Let’s code!

19. Ricardo says:

Stage 3D, but you´ve shown only 2D games ? :(

20. Awesome! I really love you guys! Thanks!

21. stuntman says:

Super ! mais combien pèse le runtimes AIR à lui seul ?

22. RetroModular says:

Awesome news to wake up to on a Monday! Congratulations to all of the Adobe guys involved, you deserve lots of cake :)

23. Nico says:

Hi,

The tests on video are very impressive ! Very good job !

However, we made some tests with Starling on different devices (iPad 1, HTC Desire, Galaxy S, iPhone 4…) and we notice that the performances were not so good…
    So, is it possible to get the source code for the bunnymark test ? We would like to try it on different devices.

Thank you !

24. Norbz says:

Finally got a demo running, and I must say you did a really good job ! Without any optimisation, I have everything running “ok”. Quick video on my blog if you want http://blog.norbz.net/2012/02/a-look-at-air-3-2/#.T0u7NKjQjKQ.facebook

25. Martin says:

Hi Thibault.

You mention that source code was available for the Waste Invaders game.

Could you post a link?

That would be awesome :-)

/Martin

26. Thibault Imbert says:

Hi Norbz,

Really nice! Super smooth ;)

Thibault

27. I too would like to get things running on CS 5.5 . I overlaid the 3.2 SDK, but can’t access direct render mode. The only options I get are gpu and cpu. Testing using CS 5.5, Starling and an iPhone, an always end up with wrong render mode error. Any one else run into this?

28. a says:

Lee, you got to get some workout.

29. polovaikin says:

Hi!
    In this video you can see problem with z-buffer in mobile version. In the emulator version all right. Is it a bug?
    Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) ~ 23 fps
    Demo need internet for loading resources.
    Do you have problems with z-buffer?

30. Wow! can’t wait to see this in my mobile device.

31. [...] AIR 3.2 RC is out on Adobe Labs with Stage3D mobile support, and some truly amazing demos are slowly starting to surface.  Here is [...]

32. [...] AIR 3.2 RC is out on Adobe Labs with Stage3D mobile support, and some truly amazing demos are slowly starting to surface.  Here is [...]

33. Frederic says:

Hello!
    I tried to compile some basic examples (that work on pc) using swf-version=15 and http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/3.2 but it does not work on tablets (Ipad and Asus Transformer) : nothing in 3D is displayed… any advice/clue ?

34. Thibault Imbert says:

Hi Frederic,

Have you followed all the guidelines from the prerelease notes?

Let me know,

Thibault

35. Frederic says:

Ok, for me it was the following parameter that i had to set to true :

36. Frederic says:

Problem in my previous post… the parameter is “depthAndStencil”

37. Thibault Imbert says:

Hi Frederic,

Yes, classic ;)

Cool you got it resolved.

Thibault

38. Brouks says:

Hi! Do I need to set “depthAndStencil” to true when publishing and ios game with starling?
    thanx!!!

39. Norbz says:

Me again !

With some optimisation, I went from 19FPS to 60 on my transformer. And from 2 FPS on SwiftShader to 25FPS.

Great work !

New Video on my blog : http://blog.norbz.net/2012/03/revamping-the-rainbow-spectrum/

Thanks adobe for such a great work !

40. Polaco says:

There is a way to perform mathematical calculations directly on the gpu? for instance to perform the calculations of a physics engine or whatever intense floating point operations. Does what im asking has sense? Maybe is already available and haven’t seen it yet.

41. Thibault Imbert says:

Hi Brouks,

No, you don’t need to for Starling content.

Hi Norbz,

Very nice! I just tweeted about it!

Thibault

42. Thibault Imbert says:

Norbz,

Can you send me the apk at timbert at adobe.com ?

Thanks!

Thibault

43. Tyler says:

Hi Thibault,

Is the bugbase the best place for us to report potential bugs we think Adobe might want to look at before release?

44. Thibault Imbert says:

Hi Tyler,

Yes! bugbase.adobe.com

Thanks!

Thibault

45. Diablo says:

What About RIM Playbook ?

46. Polaco says:

Hi Thibault,
    I have been testing Stage3d in several PCs, I have found that all DELL notebooks with iCore processors(intel graphics) comes with a crappy intel driver installed, what’s worst is that when you try to install a new intel driver an error message appears saying is not compatible driver, which is wrong. To make things even worse if you go to DELL and check for a video driver update they have very old drivers as the most recent ones and they fail to install too!. The fix is to unistall the video driver manually, restart and install the lastest Intel provided one on their site.
    I have also found that once installed the driver on IE9 Stage3d performs twice faster than Chrome or Firefox (lastest version of browsers and flash plugin 11.1.102.62). Win 7, i3 M350.

47. Polaco says:

sorry I forgot to say that the crappy Intel graphics hd driver that came with many dell notebooks is unsupported by FlashPlayer and so Stage3d runs in software mode when it will be able to run on hardware with the appropiate driver.